Terms To Know
• Bagasse - the remaining
product mass pulp after renewable and sustainable raw materials
(Bamboo, Reed, Rice, Hemp and Sugarcane) are processed from the
• CPLA - CPLA is a nature-based NatureWorks® plastic made from corn, an annually renewable resource - used for hot food and liquids - Microwavable to 212 F/ 100 C.
• PLA - Poly Lactic Acid is a starched-based material made from corn that can be formed into plastic tableware products.
• PSM - Plastized Starch Material can consist of up to 20% of petroleum based resin such as Polypropylene. Plastized Starch Material is NOT biodegradable.
• Renewable and Sustainable Resources - Raw materials, such as corn and sugarcane, that can be transplanted, harvested, and replanted in a year's time, versus trees that require years to grow.
• Biodegradable - solid materials that will degrade as a result of natural bacteria activity and will disappear into the environment over a period of time. Click here for article on extensive definitions of biodegradable and compostable
• Compostable - solid biodegradable materials that decay into a nutrient-rich, natural material under controlled conditions in a commercial composting facility utilizing controlled micro-organisms, humidity and temperature. Click here for article on extensive definitions of biodegradable and compostable
• Post-Consumer Recycled Material - Material such as corrugated boxes and newspapers reclaimed from home and institutional recycling.